Stand Fast in the Lord
By Jean Martz
"Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight." Ps. 119:35
What better way is there to start a new year than to use the commandments of the Lord as goals for our lives? In reading Philippians 4, there appears quite a list of goals
to shoot for in the coming months. Paul first of all says, "...stand fast in the Lord." Then he lists the ways we can stand fast, or stand firm in the Lord.
- Be unified—no dissention in the body of Christ.
- Always rejoice in the Lord.
- Be gentle.
- Don't worry—worry is sin—when we worry, we are not trusting.
Pray earnestly about needs with thanksgiving.
- Obedience will experience God's peace that is beyond understanding and that will give a quiet heart and mind.
- Allow our renewed mind to control our thoughts.
- Think on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good, virtuous, praiseworthy.
Use Paul's admonition to learn, to receive, to hear, to see and to do God's Word.
- Be content where God has placed us.
- Remember we can do all things through Christ Who strengthens us.
- If we will give of our substance with a willing and loving heart, God will supply all our need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
What a challenge! Choose a couple of scriptural goals
each month. Work diligently, and pray earnestly that our goals will become an integral part of our Christian lives so that we might be more like Jesus.
"Be like Jesus, this my song,
In the home and in the throng;
Be like Jesus, all day long!
I would be like Jesus."